Quick Facts on India
India Quick Facts
Quick facts on India offer you an overview of the country in terms of its location, geography, climate, population, government, and much more. Below are listed some of the quick Indian facts:
- The country of India is situated in south Asia.
- It is bordered by China, Nepal and Pakistan.
- To its north are the Himalayas.
- The seas bordering India are the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea.
Capital of India
New Delhi is the capital of India and the biggest cities are:
- Mumbai (earlier Bombay)
- Kolkata (earlier Calcutta)
Geography of India
- The Geographic coordinates of India are 20 00 N, 77 00 E
- The Indian mainland spans between 68°7' and 97°25'E Longitudes and 8°4' N and 37°6' N Latitudes.
- India is almost divided in two halves by the Tropic of Cancer 23°30' N.
- The land frontier of India is 15,200 km with a total coastline is more than 7,500 km.
- The 5 physical units of India are:
- The Great Mountains of North
- The North Indian Plain
- The Peninsular Plateau
- The Coastal Plains
- The Islands
- India is basically an agricultural country.
- Beside it, iron and steel industry are the major industries in the country.
- India manufactures every kinds of goods.
Area of Indian Sub Continent
- The total area of the Indian subcontinent is 3,287,590 sq km.
- Land comprises 2,973,190 sq km.
- Water comprises 314,400 sq km.
Population of India
- Population: 1.13 billion approximately (March 10, 2008 estimation)
- After China, India is the 2nd most populous country.
- The population of the capital i.e. New Delhi is 13 million approximately.
There are 17 major languages spoken in India and there are 844 dialects
Religions in India
- Main Regions:
- Hinduism (80%)
- Muslim religion (10%)
- Other Religions:
- North India Climate - Temperate
- South India Climate - Tropical monsoon
- India is a federal republic.
- Pratibha Patil is the President of India.
- Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh is Prime Minister of India
Some More Important Facts on India
- India is world's 7th largest country
- India happens to be the world's largest democracy