Breast feeding is a necessity for the newborns. Rich in fat, water, protein and sugar, a mother's milk helps in the proper growth and development of the baby. Containing antibodies, breast milk increases the increases the resistance power of the babies, thus helping them to fight various diseases and infections. Moreover, babies can very easily digest breast milk than formula milk. Organizations like American Academy of Pediatrics and WHO emphasize on breastfeeding. A report of the World Health Organization says that at least 2 years of breastfeeding is good for your baby's health. Exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months is also recommended by WHO. According to American Academy of Pediatrics, exclusive breastfeeding in the firs 6 months offers a continual protection against respiratory tract infection. It also prevents diarrhea.
Substitutes of Breastfeeding
The World Health organization ( WHO) recommends the following alternatives to breastfeeding:
- Breast milk bought from a human-milk bank. Milk from a wet-nurse can also do well.
- Extracted breast milk from the baby's own mother.
- Substitute of Breast milk fed
with a cup. According to the World Health
Organization, it is better to use cups than feeding
Breastfeeding Advantages for the Babies
Breastfeeding has several advantages. The benefits of breastfeeding are enumerated below:
- Breast milk contains many anti-infective factors like lactoferrin, immunoglobulin and bile salt stimulated lipase which increase immunity, thus aiding in fighting diseases.
- Breast milk also reduces the risk of obesity.
- Research tells that the breastfed babies are more intelligent.
- Breastfeeding also trims down
the risk of diseases like Diarrhea, Celiac disease and
Breastfeeding: Beneficial for Mothers
Breastfeeding is also beneficial for the mothers. Women feeding their babies also benefit a lot for breastfeeding. Essential hormones are released into the body of the mother while feeding her baby. Mother regularly feeding their babies also have lesser chance of developing breast and ovarian cancer. Constant breastfeeding for 6 months can aid mothers in losing their weight. Breastfeeding mothers also have less chances of Arhritis.